Universal Guaranteed Income
Americans are facing more economic uncertainty than ever before. Technology is eliminating jobs in numerous and unexpected industries. With the Coronavirus, it will happen even faster than expected.
What I am proposing is to provide every American adult with a Universal Guaranteed Income of $1300 a month as a right of citizenship. No strings attached.
When the topic of automation comes up, the obvious answer seems to be UGI. When it comes to Americans losing their job to robots, UGI seems to be the humane solution. Philippe Van Parijs, a Belgian political philosopher states, UGI, “… is something on which a person can safely count, a material foundation on which a life can firmly rest.”
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. advocated for UGI. Part of his dream was Universal Basic Income. A real starting line for disenfranchised Americans.King argued that low and middle-class people could not be active contributors to a capitalistic economy unless they can obtain jobs that massively increase their purchasing power.
We are approaching a technological renaissance. With the rapid advancement of technology, we will have to rethink what is Human work? What directions do we want to grow as a global society? What limitations do we wish to break together?
What does Dr. King’s vision of universal basic income look like in a world of modern labor?
- It provides an immediate answer to rising inequality, endless war, automation, rapid gentrification, and the first step for reparations.
- Positive effect on depression, suicide rates, and housing.
- It would be an immediate response to restorative justice for Indigenous Americans concerning reparations. More than just a check every month. UGI is the first step in a long and essential discussion about reparations. To support true restorative justice in America, UGI is needed.
- If money is viewed as “Access Tickets” in a consumer economy, then UGI provides “Access Tickets” for goods and services for all members of the community. It creates an equal starting point for citizens participating with American meritocracy.
- Through UGI, real equity can be realized; women would possess unprecedented economic freedoms, which would provide an instant boost to the economy and childcare across the nation.
- Attacks the core of many issues we have socially and economically. More importantly, it gives us all a stake in OUR country.